Each year our Board of Directors votes on an issue advocacy agenda. Our FY 2019 (July 1, 2019 – June 30, 2020) issue advocacy agenda includes:
School Police Accountability:
We believe that school police, in their current form, lend themselves more to the school-to-prison pipeline than to the improvement of school climate.
– Monitor the implementation and results from the annual school police report card. We developed the school police report card after talking with over 200 students to get feedback on what should be included.
– Facilitate discussions with students around the report card and some of the results that are of concern to us. Make recommendations and demands for changes in school police/student relationships and practices.
– Inform students of their rights.
We believe that schools can only be improved with consistent youth voice and organizing.
– Organize Climate Clubs in high schools and middle schools to identify school climate issues and influence those who have the power to make change.
Disability Awareness and Inclusion:
We believe that anyone who works with and interacts with youth should have the skills and motivation to include youth of all abilities.
– We have broadened our view about inclusion and disabilities. We work to ensure that youth with disabilities and their interests are represented in all that we do and now after receiving disability awareness training, we lead disability awareness training for others.